August 20, 2013 at 1:06 pm #11930
These little fellas are tasty and the kids love decorating them.
Makes – 20
Cook Time – 15 to 20mins
Prep Time – 15mins
– 450g/1lb plain flour with extra for dusting
– 2tsp ground ginger
– 1tsp ground mixed spice
– 2tsp bicarbonate of soda
– 115g/4oz butter with extra for greasing
– 100g/3 & 1/2oz golden syrup
– 115g/4oz light muscovado sugar
– 1 beaten egg
To decorate –
– currants or chocolate chips
– glace cherries or smarties
– 85g/3oz icing sugar
– 3-4tsp water
– Preheat oven to 160*c/Gas mark 3 and grease and line 2 baking trays.
– Sift the flour, ginger, mixed spice and the bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Put the muscovado sugar and golden syrup into a saucepan over a low heat and stir until melted.
– Pour the melted mixture into the dry ingredients and stir, then add the egg. Mix to make a dough, make note that the dough will be sticky until it cools.
– Lightly flour a surface and roll out the dough to roughly 3mm thick. Use a cutter to cut the gingerbread people out then place onto your baking trays. Decorate with your chosen ingredients for the eyes and mouth.
– Bake for 15-20mins until golden and cooked. Remove and allow to cool before icing and serving.
August 24, 2013 at 9:13 am #12989
- This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by ChoccyMonster.
As the weather’s so bad today I might spend the day baking. These sound delicious!January 13, 2014 at 7:42 pm #18574
Lovely recipe, but I have no gingerbread man cutter – any thoughts on the best way to create the right shape? Otherwise I fear mine will all look like poor relations of some random Mr Men!
Thanks!February 28, 2014 at 2:57 pm #20376
Nice recipe! They taste yum! If you’re short on a cutter then try printing off a template from the internet and copying it onto a piece of thick card. It won’t last forever but should be good enough for at least 1 baking session?February 28, 2014 at 2:59 pm #20377
Good idea, thanks Beth! Is half term here next week so will give this another try!June 4, 2014 at 2:47 pm #23001
These taste great, and are so easy to do!
The forum ‘Cooking and Baking with Children’ is closed to new topics and replies.