Home / Work & Childcare Articles / Thinking of becoming a professional childminder

Thinking of becoming a professional childminder

Thinking of becoming a professional childminder

Written by:

Being a childminder comes with plenty of rewards. As well as having the privilege of spending time with little characters, you can work from home and usually fit it around other commitments, such as your own need for childcare. However, as you’ll no doubt be aware, becoming a professional childminder isn’t as simple as just finding some kids to look after. There are processes you’ll need to go through before you can start earning money.


Anyone looking after children for more than two hours a day for reward has to be registered. To be a childminder you need to register with Ofsted in England, the Care Inspectorate in Scotland, CSSIW in Wales or the Health and Social Care Trust in Northern Ireland. In the first instance you should contact your local authority’s family information service to enquire about registering as a childminder. There are two registers: the Early Years Register for children up to the age of five and the Childcare register for children between five and seven years old. The registration process can take up to 12 weeks so it’s important not to put it off.

New childminders have to pay a registration fee and an annual fee to remain on the register (the amount of these fees vary depending on which area of the UK you are in). If you provide childcare without registering then you can be fined up to £5,000, sent to prison or both.


Thinking of becoming a professional childminderBefore you can register with Ofsted you must successfully complete a pre-registration briefing session and a local authority approved training course. You also need to attend a 12-hour Paediatric First Aid Course, for which you’ll receive a certificate.

Inspection visit

In most cases, you should expect an inspection visit to take place. This ensures your home is a suitable place to look after children. The inspector will also want to hear how you plan to implement the requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage and how you see yourself helping children to reach their goals. The pre-registration briefing session should provide you with all the information you need about this and is a valuable source of support, giving you the chance to meet others in the same boat.

What else do I need to know?

To register as a childminder you must be over the age of 18, have the right to work in the UK and be physically and mentally capable to work with kids. You also need to be allowed to work with children and will have to apply for a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. Childminders also need Public Liability Insurance, which protects you against the costs associated with injury or death through your business. You will also need to inform your home and car insurance companies that you will be using your property as part of a business.








About Maria Brett

About Maria Brett

Maria is a freelance writer with over 10 years' experience producing content for a variety of publications and websites. When not working or looking after her two gorgeous sons, she can usually be found playing flugelhorn in a brass band, helping out at her local hospital radio station, shouting at the television while watching Formula 1, at the cinema or plonked on the couch with a cold glass of wine.

Website: Maria Brett

View all posts by