Home / Family Articles / Dealing With Anti Social Behaviour

Dealing With Anti Social Behaviour

dealing with anti social behaviour

Written by:

If anti-social behaviour is getting you down, you will be pleased to know there are things you can do to stop it.

What is anti-social behaviour?

The Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 and Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011 defines anti-social behaviour as: “Behaviour by a person which causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or more persons not of the same household as the person.” The term covers a range of activities that can have a detrimental effect on individuals or the community as a whole. These include noise pollution, vandalism, littering, trespassing, rowdy behaviour, nuisance calls and drinking in the street.

Resolving conflict

In many cases, you might find you’re able to deal with anti-social behaviour on your own. For example, your neighbours may not realise that you can hear their music through the walls or that where they park their car makes it difficult for you to manoeuvre in and out of your driveway. When faced with a situation like this your first port of call should be to have a word with the neighbours. You might find them apologetic and happy to change their behaviour. If not, then your next step is to report it.

dealing with anti social behaviour

 Reporting anti-social behaviour

Where you report anti-social behaviour will largely depend on the type you’re experiencing or have witnessed. For example, local authorities deal with most cases of noise pollution, dog fouling and vandalism. The council should be contacted in the first instance. Housing associations also have a responsibility for anti-social behaviour. If the person or people involved are in rented accommodation you can report issues to the housing association, local authority or landlord. The police should be called if you believe a crime is being committed, such as drunken behaviour, drug dealing or harassment. If it’s not an emergency then report the behaviour by calling 101. If you believe someone is in immediate danger then you should always dial 999.


When you report anti-social behaviour you’ll be asked for details on what has been happening. Therefore, it’s a good idea to prepare some evidence. A diary of events including dates, locations and a note of what happened will be helpful and you may want to include photos or audio recordings if you have any. It’s also important to let the authorities know if there were any other witnesses, or if you believe the anti-social behaviour is being driven by an issue such as race hate or homophobia.

What if nothing is done?

If you report anti-social behaviour and feel that nothing is being done to stop it, you can complain. Your local authority should have a complaints procedure, if that too fails then you can take your case to the Local Government Ombudsman. If you’ve reported the matter to the police, complaints should be referred to your Neighbourhood Policing Team.

Anti-social behaviour can cause annoyance and distress, which nobody should have to put up with. By putting a stop to it you can help make your community a safer, more pleasant place to live.



About Maria Brett

About Maria Brett

Maria is a freelance writer with over 10 years' experience producing content for a variety of publications and websites. When not working or looking after her two gorgeous sons, she can usually be found playing flugelhorn in a brass band, helping out at her local hospital radio station, shouting at the television while watching Formula 1, at the cinema or plonked on the couch with a cold glass of wine.

Website: Maria Brett

View all posts by