Written by: Zena Grantham
As busy parents we are always looking for easy main meals to prepare for the family. Looking for something to prepare which is not only quick but also nutritious is always tricky. Here we have a Chicken and veggie stir fry that combines quick, easy and nutritious all in one!
- 1 pound skinned and boned chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 pound Broccoli, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chicken broth, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 small yellow squash, thinly sliced into small pieces
- 1/4 cup sliced onions
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon¬† chilli-garlic sauce
- Hot cooked rice
1. Sprinkle chicken with salt; toss with 1/4 cup cornstarch.
2. Stir-fry chicken in 3tbs of hot oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown and done. Transfer to a plate, using a slotted spoon; keep warm.
3. Add Broccoli and 1/4 cup broth to skillet, cover and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until crisp and tender. Transfer to a plate with the chicken, using slotted spoon.
4. Add remaining 1tbs of oil to the skillet. Saut√© bell pepper, squash and onions in hot oil for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender.
5. Whisk together 2 tsp of cornflour and remaining 3/4 cup broth until cornflour dissolves. Add broth mixture, chicken, and Broccoli (with any accumulated juices) to bell pepper mixture in skillet. Cook, stirring often, 1 minute or until liquid thickens. Stir in lime juice, soy sauce and chilli garlic sauce. Serve over hot cooked rice.