Written by: Zena Grantham
An easy way to quickly prepare vegetarian Cornish Pasties:
8 oz (225g) plain flour
4 oz (115g) very cold vegan margarine
Cold water to mix
2 oz (55g) vegan margarine
1 stick celery, chopped fine
1 medium carrot, chopped fine
1 medium potato, diced
1 small onion, sliced
2 oz (55g) mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1 tsp mixed dried herbs
Seasoning to taste
1/2 tsp yeast extract
1. Start with the pastry: rub the margarine into flour, mixing well. Add the requred salt and then just enough water to bind the mixture to a stiff dough. If possible cover over with the cling film and leave in the fridge for half an hour.
2. Roll the dough out and cut into four even-sized squares, placing them onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
3. Melt the margarine and gently fry the celery, carrot, potato and onion for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, cover pan and cook on a low heat for 10 minutes more, or until soft. Add herbs, seasoning and yeast extract.
4. Divide the vegetable mixture between the squares of dough, draining first if necessary. Dampen the edges with water, fold across diagonally, and press firmly to seal.
5. Bake in a pre-heated oven 200C/400F/gas mark 6 for 20 minutes, or until the pastry is cooked. Serves 4
Visit the Vegan Society website for more great recipes