Home / Money Articles / Benefits for those looking for work

Benefits for those looking for work

Benefit Sanctions And How To Deal With Them

Written by:

Looking for work can be a stressful and demoralising experience. These days it can be difficult finding a job and money can become a problem.

The good news is there are benefits available for those who are actively seeking work.

Job Seeker’s allowance is the main benefit people apply for and it can help to tide you over until you find employment.

What is Job Seeker’s Allowance?

There are actually two different types of Job Seeker’s Allowance, these are income based and contributions based benefits. Don’t worry, the job centre works out which one you are entitled to. You could receive one of the two benefits, or even a portion of both.

Income based Job Seeker’s Allowance is designed for those who don’t have enough national insurance contributions. It is also sometimes included for those who do receive contributions based allowance such as carers and couples. Whether you are accepted for this type of benefit will depend upon your capital and income.

Contributions based Job Seeker’s Allowance tends to be the more common benefit people receive. It is based upon the amount of national insurance contributions made throughout a person’s previous employment.

Providing you have been working within the past few years and paying national insurance, you should qualify. If you work part time or if you are receiving a pension of more than £50 per week, it may cut the amount of benefits you can receive.

benefits for those looking for work

 Who qualifies for Job Seeker’s Allowance?

In order to apply for Job Seeker’s Allowance you typically need to be aged 18 or over. If you are 65 or over, you can choose to take advantage of Pension Credits instead. This means you won’t need to sign on.

You also need to be a UK resident to apply. Those who have immigrated and recently come to the UK may have trouble claiming. It is recommended you talk to an advisor at the Citizen’s Advice Bureau to see if you are entitled to any benefits.

If you are at school or college, you won’t be able to claim Job Seeker’s Allowance. However, if you are a part time student you may be entitled. Again, it is recommended you talk to an advisor before you apply.

You have to be working less than 16 hours a week to qualify for Job Seeker’s Allowance. If you are currently living with your partner, they also need to be working less than 24 hours a week. If you are both working over 16 hours a week, you will need to apply for Working Tax Credits instead.

It is also important that you are fit for work. If you suffer with an illness that prevents you from working, you can apply instead for Employment and Support Allowance.

In order to keep receiving Job Seeker’s Allowance you will need to show that you are actively looking for work. There are a number of terms and conditions you need to be aware of so it is recommended you do your research before applying.



About Jemma Porter

About Jemma Porter

Jemma Porter is an experienced content creator who has written for a number of online publications. A self-confessed penny pincher; she's often found seeking out the best personal finance deals.

View all posts by